Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Trying to Make You Look Professional


Why hello there,

I haven't seen you 'round these parts...

I know it has been awhile but I realized that if I am going to get a job at some point I'll want a place to let people know about me and how I am outside of an interview. I feel that it is important to get another side of me out and available for people to see. I will however, continue to speak on things that I want too. This is my blog after all.

Today I want to talk about making you look more professional on the internet. It's something that isn't really taught; it has major repercussions if you are not careful. So here are a few quick tips on how to be a good professional on the internet.

1. Watch what you say.

     This may seem obvious but I can tell you that what you say on the internet will always be out there. So do not go posting about: anything illegal that you are doing, slandering people, blatantly calling out companies that you do not like (there are more appropriate avenues for this), etc... The reason I say this is because a company may not hire you if they know that you are loose lipped, so-to-say. Why would they hire someone who would create a PR nightmare for themselves? Oh, and by the way, companies are looking at what you say. It is a really good indicator of what you are going to be like in person.

2. Learn to use Grammar and Spelling correctly.

    Today, we have an issue with trying to keep our conversations under 144 characters. So to combat this people use abbreviations that are common knowledge or they make up their own. How wld u lik it if I alwys tlkd lik this? It's hard to understand and it isn't needed. It's important to learn how to say something concisely. As for spelling and grammar, the internet has basically taught us that it isn't that important. When using a professional sight please take care in your use of grammar or spelling. It will make a world of difference.

3. Remember what you learned in Kindergarten.

    Remember back in kindergarten where you learned to be nice to people and share. Remember? Because if you don't you may have trouble with your adult life. On the internet it is really easy to feel like you can say whatever you want because you will never actually see the person. It shows your true character and it is a huge turn-off to potential employers.

Well I hope these three tips helped you with looking more professional. If you already do this then you are ahead of the curb. In my next post I want to talk about e-mail and other forms of communications as it relates to business.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment